Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Hot Mess!

I don't know if you've heard about our HOT MESS FITNESS class!
It's a fitness class and challenge that runs for 8 weeks at a time, full of motivated women, lasting friendships, an AMAZING instruction, and a jackpot at the end of it.
Classes run 5 days a week for an hour each day.
Each registration day fills up in minutes and starts with a line out the door.
It's an amazing class and it truly changes lives.
Can you take the challenge??? After reading this you might want to take the challenge because it truly changes lives...
One of our awesome hot mess ladies is a pretty great blogger and she featured a post on her experience that we thought was awesome and so we wanted to share!
Follow her at her blog and enjoy this awesome post on Hot Mess Fitness!


don't quit - i can do hard things
I’m not a workout blog, I’m not a fitness blog, I’m not a healthy living blog. If you read my posts you’ll know how much I love my junk food, I love  lounging under a tree on a hot Summer day and I definitely wouldn’t be surviving life without my Dr Pepper. But today, I’m going to tell you a story. 
About 3 months ago I had a friend that got a crazy idea to invite me to go sign up for an 8 week workout class with her and a bunch of other girls from our neighborhood. It was free because it was our first session of workout at this studio. What did I have to loose? Even if I didn’t like it, or I felt like puking every day (which I was warned I probably would!) I could just never go back and nobody would bat an eye and my husband definitely wouldn’t force me to go to make up for the money spent! 

“That was the worst experience of my life….and we had only worked out for 15 minutes”

After the first day of class I got home and said to myself “there’s no way in $%@#%^$@#@%% anyone is ever getting me back there. That was the worst experience of my life”….and we had only worked out for 15 minutes of the 1 hour class. I knew that I would never survive a full hour long and so there was no point in ever going back. Not only was the workout hard, but I have come to a realization that I’m not great at follow thru on my own. I somehow convince my self that I can’t do it, I’m not worth it, or I’m not strong enough and just give up. Not just in working out, but in pretty much everything I do….and this was no exception.
Well that was a Monday, and on Tuesday I couldn’t move; like COULD NOT MOVE. I pretty much didn’t do anything that day. Yup, that proved it to me, I was never going back. My life would be over if this is how I was going to feel after every workout. I couldn’t even type on the computer because my wrists hurt. I WAS NEVER GOING TO WORKOUT AGAIN.
On Tuesday night I was informed that I had no choice, I was going to class the next day. My friends let me know that I was going, no matter what. I VERY reluctantly pulled myself out of bed the next day (more like rolled and fell onto the floor with a loud thud) and got ready for workout class. I HATED putting on workout clothes; they are tight, they hug all the wrong places, they hike up while I’m bent in fourths standing on my ear and flipping in circles and although they are in cute patterns, nothing can hide the badonkadonk in spandex. 

“nothing can hide the badonkadonk in spandex.” 

So I went…….I hated every second of that 1 hour class. I got in my car, wanted to puke, was scared to drive because I wasn’t sure if I could take my foot off the gas pedal and push the brake, and I swore they would never get me back there again. 
On Thursday I knew I had been hit by a truck while I was sleeping. That was the only thing that could or would describe my body right then. Moving, working, cleaning my house and being a mom were all DEFINITELY out of the question. Today I would lay on my couch all day long and do absolutely nothing….except drive to the gas station and get a Dr Pepper. I went to bed without setting an alarm knowing my husband could get Will off to school in the morning and I would just sleep right thru class….until my phone kept going off non-stop with my friends talking about class, who’s riding with who and when to leave. They got me again. I got up, put on the dreaded tight clothes and went to class. I WAS AWESOME.

How much is it for lipo?

Now it was the weekend and I could finally breathe. I didn’t have to worry about what excuse I was going to use to get out of class. I didn’t have to think about moving to another state so my friends couldn’t force me to workout AGAIN. How much is it for lipo? Can’t I just earn a ton of money and get all my fat surgically removed? I swear all this pain will not bring me the benefits that I started this class for. I just want to be skinny and beautiful, but this was too hard.
Without even realizing it, my mind set had changed, and come Monday morning, I went to my workout class voluntarily…..who does that?! Don’t get me wrong, almost every day at class I wanted to quit half way thru. I wanted to only do 15 when she said 30. And I hated our instructor (Tia) when she would say “Only 5 more seconds, 5, 4, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 2, 1″. There were times I wanted to punch her in the face when she would come up and say “You can do this Vanessa” 2 inches from me. I screamed more than I have every screamed in my life. I didn’t want to be there, even though there was still 45 minutes left of class. But somehow between Tia’s “Come on Vanessa” and everyone else’s encouragements finally started to feel like I could do it. I was strong enough, I was brave enough, and I was worth it!!!!!!
Now don’t get me wrong, the story doesn’t just end there. We finished our 8 week session, which seemed like it went way too quickly, and we were done for the Summer. I wasn’t sure what I was going to do without Tia telling me “you got this” “You’re awesome” “You’re a sexy beast” and so forth. I mean, doesn’t everyone need that cheerleader in their life? I most definitely did. And now she was gone.
So we decided to not give up, take advantage of the fact that we had a membership to our local community center “less than a mile from our house) and try out some of the classes they had available there. I’m now 2 weeks-ish into attending those classes and it’s hard. Some are amazing classes, some are weird, and some make me go “Oh, I can do this!”. But I’ve had my friends there to keep me going. To tell me “We’ve got this” or to pick a class and make sure I’m going too…..until today. Today came and everyone else was busy. Nobody was going to class today. My support was gone.

My support was gone.

I started my class today with the same mentality as every day “I need this and I’m worth it”. 15 minutes into it I checked the time and wanted to walk out of class right then when I realized I was only 1/4 of the way done. I was closer to the beginning than I was to the end. I told myself that there was nobody there that I knew enough to judge me. Nobody would ask where I was going or why I was leaving. Nobody there to make me stay and hold me accountable to finishing the workout.
At the next drink break I picked my drink up, walked over to where my keys were and as soon as my hands touched those keys I instantly heard all of my friends (and most of all Tia) yelling “You can do this Vanessa” “We are awesome” “You are a sexy beast”.
I turned around, walked back to my spot and put my water down. I didn’t just decide to do the workout…I decided to make the most of it. I grabbed heavier weights than I started class with and put back my lighter ones. I was going to make this workout count. I didn’t stop. I didn’t do 15 when she said 30. I kicked higher than I thought I could, I did 2 minutes of wall sits today….who does that?!
Class ended and everyone picked up their stuff, put it away, said goodbye and walked out just like any normal day. I picked my kids up from daycare just like any normal day. We waved and chatted with those we knew as we walked out, just like any normal day. But today wasn’t normal. Today I DID IT. I did it on my own. I accomplished something without that support. I DID IT.
Nobody was waiting at home with a huge banner for me, nobody was there for a huge hug or high five. Nobody is even here to do my stinky laundry cause dang my “tight clothes” are smelly. But none of that matters, because I now know that I CAN DO HARD THINGS on my own.
I created this printable to put up in my bathroom as a reminder when I get ready in the mornings…not to quit because I can do it! Not just working out, but in all aspects of my life. In my business, in my personal relationships, as a mom, as a homemaker and in my marriage. There’s always gonna be something hard and times you want to give up….but remember that you can do it. Trust me, if I can then you DEFINITELY can.

” if I can then you DEFINITELY can.”

1 comment:

  1. Best decision I ever made! This class literally changed my life. I was stuck in such a mom funk of getting up every day and taking care of my kids, house, husband etc that I forgot about myself. I lost myself. This class is so much more than just getting in shape (which you will definitely do! This class is HARD) it reminded me who I am and what I'm worth. It gave me my confidence back! Thank you Hot Mess!!

    ReplyDelete